Chris Hani Baragwanath Nursing College Application 2021/2021
This modern facebrick nursing college was opened in 1982 and is completely autonomous.
The college is capable of handling about 1’500 students per annum. However, due to financial constraints, only around 100 new nursing students are allowed on intake per year, which had reduced the number of trainees to approximately 800 annually.
- A library and a study area specifically designed for students who wish to view audio-visual programmes individually
- An audio-visual department equipped with basic audio-visual equipment, for the enhancement of learning and teaching
- An auditorium with a capacity for over 300 people, which is utilised by both college and hospital staff
- Computers for students
In 1985 an agreement was signed between the University of the Witwatersrand, and the department of Hospital Services. This provided for the university to supervise matters pertaining to academic standards in the training of nurses. At present the four year basic course is offered within the framework of this association.
This agreement also set up the structure for control of the college activities by two bodies:
- The College Council
- The College Senate
The College Council, which includes members of the public, deals with aspects like budgeting, physical facilities, posts, disciplinary matters and service conditions. The College Senate is concerned with academic matters.
The college offers the following courses:
- Four year diploma in nursing, which include General, Psychiatric, Community Health and Midwifery Nursing Science
- Two year course for Pupil Enrolled Nurses
- Post Basic Nursing Science Courses, which include
- One year Midwifery course
- Advanced Diploma in Midwifery and Neonatal Nursing Science
- Community Health
- Child Nursing
- Critical Care
- Operating Room Technique
- Primary Health Care
Chris Hani Baragwanath Nursing College Application
The nursing college is a department in the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital therefore visit the hospital for application forms or use the numbers below for more information.
Main line / Switchboard:
Tel: +27 (0)11 933-8000
Public Relations Department:
Tel: +27 (0)11 933-9111
Fax: +27 (0)11 938-1005
26 Chris Hani Road