PowerBall draws take place every Tuesday and Friday evening, offering you the chance to win jackpots that can reach more than R100 million. Discover the latest PowerBall results, as well as information on how to play and the prizes you could win.
How To Play Powerball Online
- Open an online lottery account and deposit funds into it.
- On the first board, choose five numbers between 1 and 50, then one PowerBall number from 1 to 20.
- Repeat for as many boards as you would like to play.
- Select how many draws you want to enter.
- Confirm and pay for your entry.
How To Play Powerball Offline/In-Store
- Visit any authorised lottery retailer and collect a PowerBall betslip.
- If you would also like to enter PowerBall Plus, check the “PowerBall Plus” box at the top of the slip.
- Starting with board A, mark five numbers between 1 and 50 in the first grid, and then mark one number between 1 and 20 in the second grid. You can also opt for a random set of numbers by checking the “Quick Pick” box.
- Do the same for as many boards as you want to play.
- Choose the number of draws you would like to enter by marking one of the boxes at the top of the betslip. You do not have to do this if you are entering just one draw.
- Take your betslip to a retail assistant and pay for your entries.
- Write your name on the back of the receipt you are given.
How much does it cost to play PowerBall in South Africa?
PowerBall costs R5 per board and PowerBall Plus costs an additional R2. 50 to play.
What time is the PowerBall draw tonight South Africa?
Powerball draws take place on Tuesday and Friday at 9.00pm SAST. Tickets can be purchased every day, with sales closing 30 minutes before each draw and reopening shortly thereafter for the next game.
How does PowerBall payout work in South Africa?
When introduced, the PowerBall jackpot draw required players to pick five main numbers from 1 to 45 and one ‘PowerBall’ number from 1 to 20 for an entry fee of R5 per board. Prizes may be won by matching the main numbers, with matches of the PowerBall number winning higher prizes.
How many numbers do you need to win the Powerball in South Africa?
The objective is to match the numbers you choose with those drawn in the lottery. The more numbers you match, the bigger your prize. You need to match all five main numbers plus the PowerBall to win the jackpot, but there are also eight other ways to win.
Powerball prizes and odds
Prizes are different for every draw. They depend on it if the jackpot was hit and the number of winning players overall. It also depends on ticket sales amount. There are two payout divisions fixed – when you hit results as 0/5 or 1/5 both with Power Ball. If somebody hit the jackpot matching all numbers, the share of the prize pool is similar to shown below in the table. In other cases, it may change slightly. Notice that this lottery game has bigger pool designed especially for 1st tier prize.
|Share of prize pool
|Odds of winning
|5 correct + PB
|1 in 42,375,200
|1 in 2,230,274
|4/5 + PB
|1 in 188,334
|1 in 9,912
|3/5 + PB
|1 in 4,280
|1 in 225
|2/5 + PB
|1 in 299
|1/5 + PB
|fixed R 15
|1 in 57
|0/5 + PB
|fixed R 10
|1 in 35
All Jackpot prizes round to nearest R1. You can win once per every entry filled with correct results of Powerball. Other payouts round to nearest 10 cents. Remember that exactly expected jackpot rollover may be unknown up to the date of the draw. Also, have in mind that winning Powerball is much harder than Lotto. Don’t spend all your money on lottery tickets! Check-in for South African Powerball results few minutes after the draw every Tuesday and Friday.
How Are Powerball prizes paid out?
Smaller cash prizes could be withdrawn to your bank using official online wallet on nationallottery.co.za if you played through the internet. Bigger prizes or jackpot must be claimed in one of the Ithuba regional or central offices. Always remember to get your winning ticket and ID. You must be 18 years old to claim the prize.
Powerball winnings can be split between few players who matched all numbers correctly. In this case, every person gets the same share of the prize.
Where and when to watch the Powerball draw?
Watch the draw every Tuesday and Friday on the TV on Etv channel; the show starts at 21:00. A replay of the draw is possible to watch online on youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQWsxwRUFJHNfT202GVFghQ . Ticket sales close 30 minutes before the draw.
Powerball jackpots and rollovers
Similar to other lottery games there is a mechanism called rollover for not claimed jackpots. The main prize grows as long as no one matches the 5/5 numbers and of course – additional number – Power Ball (PB). Pool for 1st prize division is rolled over to the next Draw’s corresponding division. Powerball became famous because of the large jackpot rollovers. These are expected in more cases too, which we point below:
- If there are no winners in division 2-8, then the pool rolls down to the lower division, e.g. division 4 to division 5.
- If there are no winners in division 8 (but they always are), then the pool rolls over to division 1 of the next draw.
- Breakage from any PB division rolls over to the same division next draw.
What is the SA Powerball Jackpot?
The SA Powerball jackpot on next draw 02.06.2021 is estimated to be R31,000,000.
How big can be the jackpot?
The minimum jackpot is R3 million, and there is no limitation of rollovers. To date, the biggest one was on June 3rd, 2011 with the amount of R102,016,595.
History of South African Powerball
Powerball is with African players since October 2009. South African players are really keen on this type of a game. Payout pools are more extensive, more divisions (9) and fun. Even if you match only PB number, you win something. Over the years it made many Africans millionaires. Prize pool may never reach amounts seen in European lotteries or American ones, but still, they are enough for our country realities. On the first draw on 23.10.2009, somebody won R30,000,000! Then jackpot got rolled many times to be hit on 12.02.2010 with an outstanding prize of R 91,068,427 which is the record till now. In June 2018, a number of drawn balls changed from 45 to 50.