Underwriter Development Programme at Old Mutual South Africa
The Underwriter Development Programme will span over a period of twelve (12) months. During the 12 month period, candidates will be assessed by way of examinations, assignments and practical application of knowledge. As knowledge base increases, participants will gradually be given more responsibility within the department. Underwriters on the Development Programme will begin by handling low risk business and capturing of medical information under the supervision of an Underwriter and gradually progress to more advanced levels of risk assessment as their skills develop.
- Be responsible for underwriting decisions, under the supervision of a mentor.
- Effectively handle all intermediary enquires and give advice re specific requirements and impairments.
- Accurately capture underwriting information into the product administration system.
- Provide written communication to clients and distribution channels.
- Keep abreast of developments and trends in areas of expertise.
- Uphold and maintain the image of Underwriting and Old Mutual by always maintaining the highest standard in client care.
- Develop critical underwriting skills, through classroom, independent, and on-the-job training, including analysis of exposures, determination of appropriate insurance coverage and conditions.
- Gather and review information on financial conditions, risk exposures, and economic trends that may affect the risk provided.
- Establish, support, and maintain effective relationships with customers, agents and broke
- Matric with Biology or Mathematics or Accounting
- Relevant Tertiary Qualification highly advantageous.
- PC proficiency
- Good problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong planning, organising and time-management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure whilst still maintaining a professional image.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Innovative and energetic, strong team player.
- Well developed written & verbal communication skills (fully bilingual, English and one other official language) essential.
- Must be willing to work overtime where necessary.
How to apply